Join us every Thursday starting at noon inside the market for some delicious samples prepared in house. After enjoying these great samples, feel free to take the recipe sheet provided and try it at home! All of the fresh ingredients sampled can be purchased right here at the market for you to enjoy.
April 26th – Braised Beef Shank and Baby Potatoes
2-3 beef shanks , or other stewing cuts
- olive oil
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 large can of plum tomatoes
- 2 cups quality beef stock
- Place dutch oven over a medium–high heat and add a good drizzle of olive oil. (If you don’t have one, follow directions in a regular stove top pot and then transfer to a roasting pan, cover with lid or tin foil/ or see crockpot instructions*)
- Throw in the beef and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Cook, turning regularly, until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Pick the rosemary leaves, peel the onions and garlic, trim the celery and finely chop it all together. Add to the pan with the rosemary. Reduce the heat and soften for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the wine, bring to the boil and let it bubble until reduced by half. Add the tinned tomatoes and stock, then return the beef to the pot.
- Put in oven at 350 and cook for 2 hours. (Alternatively, place in slow cooker on low for the day and enjoy when you get home!)
- TIP: Serve with smashed whole roasted spring potatoes. (leave the skins on for added texture and taste)
Post expires at 9:35am on Friday December 14th, 2018