1 – 19 oz. (540 ml) tin black beans, rinsed very well and drained
1 – 19 oz. (540 ml) tin chick peas rinsed and drained
2 small sweet potatoes cut into ½ inch dice
1 cup of blanched green beans cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) lengths
2 cups of cooked corn
1/2 small red or sweet white onion diced
1 sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
1 c. (250 ml) chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 c. (125 ml) finely chopped cilantro
1 cup of halved cherry or grape tomatoes
6 tbsp. (75 ml) cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon chopped chipotle in adobo
5 tbsp. (50 ml) olive oil or canola oil
1 tbsp. (15 ml) honey
salt and pepper to taste
1. Toss the sweet potatoes in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Place on a baking tray. Roast in a 400F oven for about 12 – 15 minutes until light golden and tender.
2. In a large bowl combine the beans, sweet potato, green beans, corn, onion, pepper, parsley, cilantro and tomatoes. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl combine the vinegar , chipotle, oil and honey. Whisk until combined. Season generously with salt and pepper.
3. Add the dressing to the bean salad and stir to combine.
4. Add more vinegar if necessary and salt and pepper to taste. Add cilantro (if using) and toss again.
5. Transfer to an attractive bowl and serve.
* for a “flexitarian” version, serve half of the salad as per above vegetarian version. Take the other half of the salad and add 2 cups (500 ml) of cooked, chopped barbecued chicken.